Monday, February 10, 2014

A Few Words on the Future of This Blog

I mentioned in my year end introduction, that my wife is due to give birth to our second child this year. The due date is rapidly approaching (February 23rd). I couldn’t be happier about that. But it does mean that time is going to become more scarce for me and watching movies. With one child, it was still fairly easy to slip out to a late show, or stay behind a couple hours after work in Toronto to see something. But with two kids under 3, that time is going to be scarcer. And starting in July, I will be on paternity leave until next February and not in Toronto at all. What this means, in essence, is that I will see fewer movies in 2014 than I did in 2013 – and the timing of those I see will be different. Instead of seeing as much as I can in a theater on opening weekend in Toronto, I’ll have to wait for some things to go wider before I can see them. And more and more movies will have to wait for home viewing. If you’re an American, you should feel lucky because so many films come out on various VOD platforms early. Not so much in Canada – I’m still waiting for the highly acclaimed Like Father, Like Son to come out in Canada for instance, and this past weekend (I think) saw the VOD release of Ben Wheatley’s A Field in England, which I really want to see, but again, this wasn’t released in Canada.

So basically what I’m saying is that the blog will be a little behind the times for the foreseeable future – I’ll still be watching everything I want to watch – but I won’t watch necessarily watch it when it’s fresh and new. I’m not going to stop however. I have always said I write this blog for myself more than anyone else – that I like to write my reviews because it helps me clarify my own feelings on movies – and that’s as true as it ever was. But for those who want the timeliest reviews of new releases, this blog is probably going to disappoint for a while. Sorry about that – but I think the trade-off is more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment