Friday, September 4, 2009

Toronto Film Festival - Final Line-Up

So last week I listed, and described, the 22 films I was planning on seeing at this year’s Toronto Film Festival (http://davesmoviesite.blogspot.com/2009/08/toronto-film-festival-preview.html) . But now I have purchased all of my tickets, and there were a few changes. I will keep this post brief (or at least briefer than that one), but below are the 23 films that I will see at this year’s festival, listed in the order I will see them. I made some changes, couldn’t get in to some of the ones I wanted, but overall, I think this is a strong line-up.

1. Perrier’s Bounty (Ian Fitzgibbon) – A British crime dramedy starring Cillian Murphy, Jodie Whitaker, Jim Broadbent and Brendan Gleeson.
2. Jennifer’s Body (Karyn Kusama) - The high school horror film from the writer of Juno, starring Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried.
3. The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke) – This year’s Palme D’Or winner at Cannes from one of my favorite directors currently working.
4. A Serious Man (Joel & Ethan Coen) – For the third year in a row, I’m seeing the new Coen brothers film at the festival. Cannot wait.
5. George A. Romero’s Survival of the Dead (George A. Romero) – The sixth in Romero’s Dead series, and a film I am still bitter I could not be an extra in.
6. The Road (John Hillcoat) – My most anticipated film. The director of The Proposition adapting Cormac McCarthy’s best book with Viggo Mortenson.
7. Soul Kitchen (Faith Akin) – The normally hard hitting Akin going lighter and breezier in this comedy.
8. Les Herbes folles (Wild Grass) (Alain Resnais) – One of the undisputed masters of the cinema returns with this highly acclaimed film.
9. Enter the Void (Gaspar Noe) – Another provocation from Noe. Will either be great or insufferable.
10. The Loved Ones (Sean Byrne) – An Australian horror film set at the prom. Perhaps a good match with Jennifer’s Body.
11. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orelans (Werner Herzog) – Herzog doing Ferrara with Nicolas Cage.
12. The Front Line (Renato De Maria) – An Italian film about a left wing terrorist group.
13. Youth in Revolt (Miguel Arteta) – An adaptation of the cult comic novel with Michael Cera, Ray Liotta, Justin Long, Steve Buscemi and many more.
14. Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz) – Solondz’s latest, a sort of quasi sequel to Happiness, his best film.
15. The Unloved (Samantha Morton) – One of the best actresses in the world makes her directing debut, telling a dark story similar to her own.
16. High Life (Gary Yates) – The token Canadian film I choose this year. A dark crime comedy with Timothy Olyphant.
17. Mother (Bong Joon-ho) – The Korean master’s latest psychological drama that got great reviews in Cannes.
18. My Son, My Son What Have Ye Done? (Werner Herzog) – My second Herzog of the festival, and sounds like the polar opposite of the first.
19. Vincere (Marco Bellocchio) – The Italian master’s film about the early like of Mussolini, and his mistress.
20. Whip It (Drew Barrymore) – Sue me, I wanted something light, and I love Ellen Page, so this roller derby comedy fit the bill.
21. L’Affaire Farewell (Christain Carion) – For the director of the Oscar nominated Joyeux Noel, comes a cold war tale.
22. Leaves of Grass (Tim Blake Nelson) – Edward Norton in the duel role as twins, who are of course, the polar opposite of each other.
23. Nymph (Pen-ek Ratanaruang) – Figured I’d end the festival with a truly weird movie about a couple, and yes, a nymph. Got good reviews at Cannes.

So that’s it, the final list. It is possible that I could get some tickets from work that may either add to this total, or switch films, depending on which ones I get, but I’m not counting on it. This is a pretty full schedule. I will try my best to provide updates during the festival, but I will leaving early, and getting home late, so I cannot guarantee anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment